Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The bathroom, part two, and the toilet name game...


Mission accomplished. At least partly. The robin's egg 1950s blu emy husband wanted in the main bath upstairs in now in place, the mauve carpet has been safely removed and freecycled, and the new hardware that will someday (when I have time to install it...) has been chosen. Woo-hoo! I'm almost home free. The color is Behr Embellished Blue from Home Depot. It really makes taking a shower a lot cheerier. And, it shows off the 1950s faux marble vanity top.

I did have bathroom fever this past weekend, so I started a makeover of the half bathroom adjoining the kitchen. Well, it wasn't that I was feeling like a go-getter, it's just that we are having Marmoelum flooring installed in the kitchen and bathroom of that room this week and the toilet and vanity needed to come out beforehand. I figured while the toilet was out, I'd replace it with a new one, because there was no way in hell I was putting that mid 1960s 5- gallon a flush water hog back in. Especially when it didn't flush right to begin with.

No one warned me that toilet shopping was such a humorous experience, though. I had to wonder who came up with the model name for toilets. At Lowes, you could buy a Cimaron. At Home Depot, the Harbor or the WellWorth. Silly names trying to add a bit of mystique and class to what has for all time basically been referred to as "the old crapper." We went with the WellWorth. And in a fit or irony, the same day we bought it, we went to a house party where the hostess had just bought a new toilet. I told her of the humourous names we encountered while toilet shopping and she said, "Yeah, it's funny. I think ours is the WellWorth?" Those marketing people earned their money that day.•

No comments: