Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The basement is wrecked...


So maybe I bit off more than I could chew. I have a bad habit of starting a lot of projects all at once, then leaving them half finished. I tell myself that I won't do it again, that I'll quit being so schizonphrenic and just stick to one room at a time, start to finish. But who am I kidding. The creative process doesn't happen like that. I need to install the new towel racks and regrout the tub in the main bathroom, I ripped out the vanity and have yet to find a replacement in the half bath, and I have yet to prime and paint the kitchen, despite the fact that the new floor was installed a month ago.

So what do I do? Start on the basement. Yep. You guessed it. Now that room is half-wrecked too! It's not terrible, mind you. My honey was nagging me about the boxes and boxes of books we have yet to unpack since we moved in. Our last pad had built-in bookshelves. This one, well, it just wasn't meant for books. I talked my 80-year-old grandpa into building us 16 feet of custom bookcases. So with a nagging husband and a grandpa anxious to see his handy work in action, I started in on the basement. Noble reasons.

Don't get me wrong. It's a big job. To start off, the room was a wood paneled nightmare, with very little light and a long, skinny shape. So far, I've primed and painted the panels American Tradition Empire Fleet blue because it was the only color we could agree on. Not too shabby, considering the carpet is maroon. I was afraid it'd look like a 1970s-style Spirit of '76 bicentennial color scheme. But so far, so good. Two fo the bookcases are stained and the new sofa, from Ikea, finally arrived. But as you can see, the room is still a work in progress...•

No comments: